This book tells the history of a small town in south central Utah located on the Union Pacific Railway line about halfway between Delta and Milford. Black Rock's story first began in about 1870 as a grazing area for milk cows brought out by ranchers and farmers from Fillmore and Kanosh, located to the east. Finally a store was set up in 1880 with the coming of the railroad. Slowly, one large ranch evolved about one kilometer east of tracks next to a large spring; as well as a small town located near the railroad depot. The little town of Black Rock developed around the railway depot, sheep shearing corrals, a mercantile store & hotel for sheepmen and a one-room schoolhouse.
Much of the town died during the time of World War II, partly because of the loss of sheep herding & sheep shearing in the area. In that time period, sheepmen started transporting sheep, and hauling supplies to their herders by truck, which ended the need for a store & hotel. Sheep numbers also dropped, and after World War II, it became more difficult to find anyone who wanted to live and care for sheep in the desert.
Another reason for the death of the town was the change from steam to Diesel locomotives on the railway, which meant the railroad no longer depended on water from the Black Rock Springs to stay in business. All that's left today are the foundations of several buildings near the tracks, and the still-active & running Black Rock Ranch.
This is also a guidebook of sorts to the area. It has 10 maps and/or floor plans of the hotel and station. Also discussed is the route of the Dominguez & Escalante Party when they passed through the area and camped nearby in 1776.