By: H. H. Doelling and others
Antelope Island is located in the southeast corner of Great Salt lake and is the largest of its islands. It is a little over 40 square miles in size, with a length of 15 miles in a north-south direction, and a width of nearly 5 miles near its middle. The highest peak reaches an altitude of only 6,597 feet, for a maximum relief of 2,400 feet above the level of Great Salt Lake.
The island is noted for its wildlife as well as for its geology. In addition to its famous herd of buffalo, mule deer, coyote, badger, and bobcats have been observed. It is regularly visited by flocks of migrating birds and is the habitat for several species of eagles, hawks, falcons, and owls, including the rare peregrine falcon. Although several geologic expeditions visited the island while investigating the western United Stales in the 1800s, the first serious geologic investigation did not occur until Willard Larsen of the University of Utah provided the first geologic map in 1957. In 1987 the Utah Geological and Mineral Survey, in cooperation with the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation, geologically remapped the island and studied its mineral and water resources, and its geologic hazards. This publication discusses the work that was done.
Pages: 20 p.
Location: Davis County
Media Type: Paper Publication